Table of Contents
List of Top Twenty-Five Smallest Countries of the World
The total surface area of Earth is about 510,072,000 square kilometres. Of this, 70.8% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water, mostly by oceans, seas, gulfs, and other water bodies. Hence, the total water area is 361,132,000 square kilometres. The remaining 29.2% of the Earth’s surface is land consisting of continents and islands. Thus, the total land area is 148,940,000 square kilometres. Every continent has countries, except the Antarctica continent. These countries have their own boundaries. At present, according to the United Nations, the number of total countries is 195. Of this, 193 countries are members of the United Nations and 2 countries are non-member observer states (the Holy See and the State of Palestine). Here, we are discussing the twenty-five smallest countries in terms of area. These countries are sovereign states and members of the United Nations.
To know about the list of the smallest twenty-five countries in terms of area, refer to the table below.
|Rank||Country||Region||Total Aera In km2|
|8||Saint Kitts and Nevis||North America||261|
|12||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||North America||389|
|14||Antigua and Barbuda||North America||442|
|18||Saint Lucia||North America||616|
|19||Federated States of Micronesia||Oceania||702|
|25||São Toméand Príncipe||Africa||964|
Here total area means that the sum of land and water areas within international boundaries and coastlines.
Some important fact
- The Vatican City is also known as the Holy See and also the smallest country in the world.
- Monaco is the smallest country with a coastline and also the smallest United Nations member state.
- Nauru is the smallest island country, smallest republic and smallest country that is not a city-state.
- Tuvalu is the smallest Commonwealth realm.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis is the smallest country in the North America continent.
- Maldives is the smallest country in the Asia continent.
- Seychelles is the smallest country in the Africa continent.
- Suriname is the smallest country in the South America continent.
- Nauru is the smallest country in the Oceania continent.
- Vatican City is the smallest country in the European continent and also in the world.