Table of Contents
List of Top Twenty-five Largest Countries of the World
The total surface area of Earth is about 510,072,000 square kilometres. Of this, 70.8% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water, mostly by oceans, seas, gulfs, and other water bodies. Hence, the total water area is 361,132,000 square kilometres. The remaining 29.2% of the Earth’s surface is land consisting of continents and islands. Thus, the total land area is 148,940,000 square kilometres. Every continent has countries, except the Antarctica continent. These countries have their own boundaries. At present, according to the United Nations, the number of total countries is 195. Of this, 193 countries are members of the United Nations and 2 countries are non-member observer states (the Holy See and the State of Palestine).
Here, we are discussing the twenty-five largest countries in terms of area. These countries are sovereign states and members of the United Nations. In this list, we are not including the individual country’s claims to parts of the continent of Antarctica. Whatever, the top 10 countries in the list cover almost 50% of the whole land area of the Earth.
To know about the list of the largest twenty-five countries in terms of area, refer to the table below.
|Total Area In km2||Land Area In km2||Water Area In km2||% Of Water||% Of World Landmass|
This list includes three measurements of area:
- Total Area: It is the sum of land and water areas within international boundaries and coastlines.
- Land Area: It is the aggregate of all land within international boundaries and coastlines, excluding water area.
- Water Area: It is the sum of the surface areas of all inland water bodies (lakes, reservoirs, and rivers) within international boundaries and coastlines. Coastal internal waters may be included.
Some important fact
- Russia is the largest country in the Asia continent and also in the world. Russia is a transcontinental country which lies between the Asia and Europe continent. Around 40% of the landmass of Russia lies in Europe. It is also the European continent’s largest country. The remaining part of Russia lies in the Asia continent, which is greater than any other Asian country.
- Algeria is the largest country in the Africa continent and also the largest in the Arab world and the Mediterranean Basin.
- Canada is the largest country in the North America continent and also the largest country in the Western Hemisphere
- Brazil is the largest country in the South America continent and also the largest country in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Australia is the largest country in the Oceania continent.